Kentucky Derby முடிவுகள்

Kentucky Derby-யில் வென்றவர் யார்?

Australia news live: judge warns about ‘controversy’ as pianist sues orchestra; NSW landlords fined over no-fault evictions

Australia news live: judge warns about ‘controversy’ as pianist sues orchestra; NSW landlords fined over no-fault evictions


Pianist’s case against MSO not a ‘roving inquiry’ on Middle East conflict, judge says

Australia news live: judge warns about ‘controversy’ as pianist sues orchestra; NSW landlords fined over no-fault evictions

Nino Bucci

The judge hearing the case of a pianist who alleges the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra unlawfully discriminated against him because of his views on Israeli forces killing Palestianian journalists says the matter will not be a “roving inquiry” over conflict in the Middle East.

Pianist Jayson Gillham is suing the MSO over a cancelled Melbourne concert he was contracted to perform on 15 August 2024, a cancellation which he claims was an attempt to silence him over his stance on the Gaza conflict.

At a performance four days earlier in Southbank’s Iwaki Auditorium, Gillham had played a short piece called Witness, composed by Australian multimedia artist Connor D’Netto, which was dedicated to Palestianian journalists who were killed by Israeli forces.

The trial is set down for 15 days and started in the federal court in Melbourne on Monday.

Justice Graeme Hill told the court before opening submissions in the trial that while he was aware the matter had attracted public controversy:

This is not a case about that public controversy, and I’m not going to let the case turn into a roving inquiry about that public controversy.

double quotation markThings about a situation in the Middle East are not, as I see it now, part of the legal issues in this case, even if they are part of the reason we are here.

Gillham’s barrister, Sheryn Omeri KC, is now giving her opening to the trial.

This post was corrected at 12.16pm. An earlier version incorrectly described Gillham as a composer; he is a pianist.

Share

Updated at 

Key events

New Zealander detained in Tahiti after alleged Qantas biting incident

Caitlin Cassidy

Caitlin Cassidy

A New Zealand man has been detained in Tahiti after an incident in which a Qantas flight attendant was allegedly bitten on an international flight.

The QF21 flight departed Melbourne bound for Dallas on Friday, but was diverted to Papeete in Tahiti seven hours later when the behaviour of the disruptive passenger forced it to land.

Upon arrival in Papeete, the capital of French Polynesia, the plane was met by authorities and the passenger was issued a no-fly ban by Qantas, meaning he will be unable to fly on any future Qantas and Jetstar flights.

Consular officials from New Zealand’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade said they aware of the detention of a New Zealander in Tahiti.

“For privacy reasons no further information will be provided,” the spokesperson said.

Share

Updated at 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *